Now that cannabis use is legal in Canada, we are seeing more dental patients experiencing symptoms related to cannabis use. The most common oral health risks are:
- Xerostomia (Dry Mouth)
- This can lead to cavities.
- Attachment loss
- Gingival enlargement (Puffy gums)
Cannabis causes excessive oral dryness, whether it is taken for recreational or medical purposes. Ways to reduce tooth decay associated with dry mouth are as follows:
- Drink more water (9 -12 cups per day)
- Brush and floss twice a day.
- Eat regular meals.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages after smoking.
- Avoid overly salty foods.
- Use artificial saliva, available at your local pharmacy (Xylimelts, Biotène®)
- Visit your dentist/hygienist regularly.