Now that cannabis use is legal in Canada, we are seeing more dental patients experiencing symptoms related to cannabis use. The most common oral health risks are:
- Xerostomia (Dry Mouth)
- This can lead to cavities.
- Attachment loss
- Gingival enlargement (Puffy gums)
Cannabis causes excessive oral dryness, whether it is taken for recreational or medical purposes. Ways to reduce tooth decay associated with dry mouth are as follows:
- Drink more water (9 -12 cups per day)
- Brush and floss twice a day.
- Eat regular meals.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages after smoking.
- Avoid overly salty foods.
- Use artificial saliva, available at your local pharmacy (Xylimelts, Biotène®)
- Visit your dentist/hygienist regularly.
The difference between MI Paste & Clinpro 5000
In certain situations, we advise the daily use of a take home toothpaste which we can provide. Depending upon your specific needs, we will recommend one of the following:
- Clinpro 5000 is used when fluoride is low or is not in your city’s water.
(FYI the city of Calgary removed fluoride out of its drinking water 8 years ago!)
- Clinpro 5000 prevents tooth decay, used when there is a lot of decay present.
- Clinpro 5000 should be used immediately after brushing or flossing your teeth.
- For best results, use the medication just before bedtime, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Swish this medication in your mouth without swallowing. Then spit it out.
- Do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after using Clinpro 5000
- If swallowed, may cause an upset stomach
- Does not contain fluoride
- Made out of a special milk-derived protein that releases calcium and phosphate to the surface of the teeth. Do not use on patients with a milk protein casein allergy!
- Relieves tooth sensitivity (root exposure, whitening, eroded teeth, cracked teeth)
- Most commonly used by orthodontic patients to prevent “white spots”.
- Helps improve salivary flow for patients with dry mouth and minimizes acid erosion.
- Can be used on babies under two.
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste in the morning and at night
- Apply a pea-sized amount of MI Paste to your teeth’s surface using a cotton swab or gloved finger
- Leave undisturbed for 3 minutes
- Expectorate (spit) but do not rinse; leave the excess to slowly dissolve